Yayoi Kusama Art Game
Are you looking for a fun way to supplement your art history lessons? Going to be absent and need last minute art sub plans? Fill up your sub tub with low-prep art lessons like this Yayoi Kusama abstract painting project that excites students. Teach your students about modern art, organic shapes, and acrylic painting.
Are you trying to foster more independence in your art room? This Yayoi Kusama art game makes for the best and most productive early finisher activity for your students. You can set up a choice-based art center where students select an activity amongst different ones. Print out the game board and directions back to back, put them in a labeled folders, and let them pick what they’d like to create. This is similar to a directed drawing activity in which students are guided through the art process.
If you’re a teacher looking for a differentiated art lesson that boosts independent thinking, problem-solving, and skill-acquisition, this will do the trick.
You will create a Yayoi Kusama abstract painting by rolling the die and collecting the different parts required to create it.
First, print out the game and picture directions back-to-back. Then give your students dice and watch them have fun creating their own art project independently. Alternatively, if you’re a choice-based art teacher, you can use the “You Pick” version of the game. If you have access to a smartboard or projector, use the accompanying PowerPoint presentation. It will guide the students during each part of the art project.
Once completed, have students use the self-assessment rubrics to evaluate their artwork based on craftsmanship, creativity, following directions, work habits, project goals, and clean up. And then have them complete the “Big Ideas” sheet so they can connect the creation process to their learning.
If you are substituting or need a fast finisher activity, use the included coloring page.
- 5th – 8th grade
Main Learning Objective
- Students will be able to create an abstract acrylic painting using organic shapes and bold colors in the style of Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama
- Acrylic Paint
- Flat and Round Brushes
- Canvas, Cardboard, Foam Board (or any other sturdy surface)
You Will Receive
- 8-Page, Non-Editable PDF (Yayoi Kusama Art Game)
- 9-Page Non-Editable PowerPoint Presentation
- Dice Game
- Choice-Based Drawing Version of the Game
- Step-by-Step Picture Tutorial and Directions
- Yayoi Kusama Biography Handout
- Visual Arts Self-Assessment Rubrics
- Artist “Big Ideas” Reflection Sheets
- 8, “I CAN” Statements Aligned to the Studio Habits of Mind
- Practice Drawing Page
- Coloring Page
- Paperless Google Drive digital resource for students (also or use on Google Classroom, Google Slides, and Microsoft OneDrive)