Wheat Field with Crows Art Game
Are you looking for a fun way to supplement your art history lessons? Going to be absent and need last minute art sub plans? Fill up your sub tub with low-prep art lessons like this Van Gogh Wheat Field with Crows project that excites students. Teach your students about Impressionism, line variety, and how to use oil pastels.
Are you trying to foster more independence in your art room? This Van Gogh Wheat Field with Crows art game makes for the best and most productive early finisher activity for your students. You can set up a choice-based art center where students select an activity amongst different ones. Print out the game board and directions back to back, put them in a labeled folders, and let them pick what they’d like to create. This is similar to a directed drawing activity in which students are guided through the art process.
If you’re a teacher looking for a differentiated art lesson that boosts independent thinking, problem-solving, and skill-acquisition, this will do the trick.
You will create a Vincent Van Gogh Wheat Field with Crows drawing by rolling the die and collecting the different line varieties required to create it. First, draw a curvy horizon line. Next, draw three connected pathways and a moon. Then, roll the die five times to select five line varieties for your project.
Carefully plan your design before beginning. Balance the different line varieties throughout your composition. Also consider the direction of your lines to make each area stand out. Use two or three different colored pastels for each portion of the design to add interest. Lastly, add finishing details like the crows at the end so they stand out against the background.
First, print out the game and picture directions back-to-back. Then give your students dice and watch them have fun creating their own art project independently. Alternatively, if you’re a choice-based art teacher, you can use the “You Pick” version of the game. If you have access to a smartboard or projector, use the accompanying PowerPoint presentation. It will guide the students during each part of the art project.
Once completed, have students use the self-assessment rubrics to evaluate their artwork based on craftsmanship, creativity, following directions, work habits, project goals, and clean up. And then have them complete the “Big Ideas” sheet so they can connect the creation process to their learning.
If you are substituting or need a fast finisher activity, use the included coloring page.
- 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grade
Main Learning Objective
- Students will be able to recreate Vincent Van Gogh’s Wheat Field with Crows painting using five line varieties and line direction to suggest both movement, shape, and space.
- Oil pastels
- Construction paper
You Will Receive
- 12-Page, Non-Editable PDF (Van Gogh Wheat Field with Crows Art Game)
- 9-Page, Non-Editable PowerPoint Presentation
- Dice Game
- Choice-Based Drawing Version of the Game
- Step-by-Step Picture Tutorial and Directions
- Vincent Van Gogh Biography Handout
- Visual Arts Self-Assessment Rubrics
- Artist “Big Ideas” Reflection Sheets
- 8, “I CAN” Statements Aligned to the Studio Habits of Mind
- Practice Drawing Page
- Coloring Page
- Paperless Google Drive digital resources for students (also or use on Google Classroom, Google Slides, and Microsoft OneDrive)