Laurel Burch Cats Art Game
Ready to teach a folk art project that’ll keep elementary art classes engaged? This Laurel Burch art lesson will boost confidence and creativity. Kids will love her folk art cats in bright colors and patterns. Moreover, they’ll enjoy playing a roll a dice game to draw their own cat!
And, it’ll help time-starved teachers like you create lesson plans based on folk artists like Laurel Burch.
During this art project, your class will discover how Laurel Burch’s passion for painting was the result of her medical condition. Use it to discuss fine art vs. folk art, as well as patterns in art. Students will create a folk art cat painting with watercolors and crayons using the step-by-step guide and PowerPoint.
Plan lessons about folk art drawing ideas and art appreciation in a way that excites them. Finally feel confident in your art curriculum and be organized and prepared to teach art!
Can I be honest with you? Art history can sometimes be boring for kids. There, I said it. Teaching about artists and cultures doesn’t have to be a snoozer, though!
I’ve designed 3 different ways for students to attempt this folk art project. All will engage kids to create! Choose which way works best for your classes:
- Roll a dice game to add randomness to your student’s artwork
- “You Pick” idea worksheet for kids to choose their own elements
- Digital spinner wheels, so kids can randomly pick elements and you can integrate technology in the art room
- Printable dice template in case you have no dice
- Step-by-step picture directions to guide students through the art process
- Drawing practice worksheet, for kids who want to sketch out their ideas
- Laurel Burch Artist biography about the life and work of this American folk art painters of animals, so you don’t need to research
- “Big Ideas” reflection worksheet where students write about their art process
- Art rubric, a self-assessment tool to get students thinking about things like craftsmanship and art project goals
- 8 “I CAN” Statements aligned to the Studio Habits of Mind to use during instruction or post on your bulletin board
- 4 Art exit tickets with quick, thought-provoking prompts
- Art history coloring pages to keep kids inspired by Laurel Burch’s cat paintings outside of the art room
Ways to Use My Laurel Burch Cats Art Lesson
This folk art cat project is flexible and can be used in many ways throughout your art room and beyond. It’s great for maternity or emergency art sub plans, early finisher activities, and even for virtual art class or an after-school art club.
You Will Receive
- 1 Non-Editable Printable PDF (Laurel Burch Cats Art Project)
- 1 Non-Editable PowerPoint
- 5 Digital Spinner Videos (downloadable, and links to them on Google Slides and YouTube)
- Paperless Google Drive Digital Resource
Why You’ll Love It
This was a fantastic resource. I ended up having to teach art, which I have no background knowledge in. This was helpful as I started learning best practices for teaching art! Thank you!
These art projects are so fantastic! They work for multiple age and ability levels and they always turn out so wonderful. I’m using them as the core of our art portfolio building this year. Thank you so much!
This is a great resource! I am very glad to have this resource because my second graders LOVE to do Laurel Burch’s cats! Thank you!
There are no reviews yet.