Amelia Pelaez Art Game
Ready to teach an Hispanic Heritage Month art project that’ll keep elementary art kids engaged? This Amelia Pelaez art lesson will boost confidence and creativity. Kids will appreciate her Cubist still-life paintings of flowers. Moreover, they’ll enjoying playing a roll a dice game to make a flower vase of their own!
And, it’ll help time-starved teachers like you create art lesson plans based on modern Cuban artists like Amelia Peláez.
During this art project, your class will discover how Amelia Pelaez began her art career in Cuba painting the countryside and barrios. Use it to discuss contemporary Cuban art and the style of art called Cubism. Students will create a still-life painting using the step-by-step guide and PowerPoint.
Plan lessons for students about Cuban art history and art appreciation in a way that excites them. Finally feel confident in your art curriculum and be organized and prepared to teach art!
Can I be honest with you? Art history can sometimes be boring for kids. There, I said it. Teaching about artists and cultures doesn’t have to be a snoozer, though!
I’ve designed 3 different ways for students to attempt this Amelia Pelaez art project. All will engage kids to create! Choose which way works best for your classes:
- Roll a dice game to add randomness to your student’s artwork
- “You Pick” idea worksheet for kids to choose their own elements
- Digital spinner wheels, so kids can randomly pick elements and you can integrate technology in the art room
- Printable dice template in case you have no dice
- Step-by-step picture directions to guide students through the art process
- Drawing practice worksheet, for kids who want to sketch out their ideas
- Amelia Pelaez Artist biography about the life and work of this modern Cuban painter and ceramist, so you don’t need to research
- “Big Ideas” reflection worksheet where students write about their art process
- Art rubric, a self-assessment tool to get students thinking about things like craftsmanship and art project goals
- 8 “I CAN” Statements aligned to the Studio Habits of Mind to use during instruction or post on your bulletin board
- 4 Art exit tickets with quick, thought-provoking prompts
- Art history coloring pages to keep kids inspired by Amelia Pelaez’s paintings outside of the art room
Ways to Use My Amelia Pelaez Cubism Art Project for Hispanic Heritage Month
This Amelia Pelaez painting lesson is flexible and can be used in many ways throughout your art room and beyond. It’s great for maternity or emergency art sub plans, early finisher activities, and even for virtual art class or an after-school art club.
You Will Receive
- 1 Non-Editable Printable PDF (Amelia Pelaez Art Project)
- 1 Non-Editable PowerPoint
- 5 Digital Spinner Videos (downloadable, and links to them on Google Slides and YouTube)
- Paperless Google Drive Digital Resource
Why You’ll Love It
THESE CAME OUT BEAUTIFUL! I hung them up in the hallway and everyone commented how great they looked. Loved that there were exit tickets and a self-assessment rubric to make grading easier.
Great substitute activity to d during Hispanic Heritage Month! All the worksheets were included!