Digital New Years Hat Art Project
Do you need an exciting and engaging New Years activity that will work for both your virtual and in-person students? This Google Slides art project requires no prep and includes a writing component to tie literacy into art. Your class will feel successful in building their own NYE hat. It’s as simple as copy and paste! Additionally, it pairs well with the book, “Squirrel’s New Year’s Resolution.”
Digital New Years Eve Craft Preview
Overview of Digital New Years Resolution Activities for Kids
First, your students will pick a confetti background to place all their digital build a New Years hat templates onto. Then, they’ll select either a cone hat or a top hat. From there, kids can add patterns of stars, stripes, zigzags, or polka dots. Next, they can add tinsel fringe, hat toppers, pom poms, stickers, and feathers. If they want to commemorate the year, numbers are included. Lastly, kids can decorate the background with balloons, fireworks, and other fun extras.
And, if you’d like to take it a step further, have students take a picture of them wearing their New Years hat and have them insert that into the background instead. Use it as an opportunity to teach kids about composition and lighting. This art project is also a great exercise in teaching about space, overlapping, and contrast.
These digital New Years hat templates include 197 moveable graphics for your students to decorate their own unique hat. Step-by-step directions are included at the beginning of the Google Slides document to teach kids how to flip an image and change the order of images to bring something forward or backward.
The download contains a two-page PDF with directions on how to access the templates. And this document comes ready to go in Google Drive, so don’t worry about trying to figure out how to import it into your Drive!
I’ve included directions for some basics like copy/pasting, rotating, ordering, and adjusting the size of images.
You Will Receive
- 1 Non-Editable PDF – Basic overview of the art project included.
- Google Drive Access Link – A link to download the digital New Years hat activity templates located on page 3 of the PDF.)
- 11 Directions Slides – These explain how to use some of the basic features of Google Slides including how to copy/paste, rotate, scale up/down, and change the order of objects in a layout.
- 7 Background Slides – These include images of falling confetti. This is where kids will place their hat decorations onto. Any background a student is not using can be deleted once they have selected which one they want to work with.
- 197 Moveable Objects – These items can be copied and pasted into the background mentioned above. They will use these items to decorate their hat. (DISCLAIMER: the graphics used in this file may not be used to create commercial resources).
- 2 Writing Prompts – These prompts are designed to work for kids in second through fifth grades.
- 4 Teacher Examples – Use these to demonstrate on and show your class a completed version of the project. Do not include these when you send a copy of the art project to your students.
- Each template page is designed on 8.5×11″ slides and can be printed if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions for Digital New Years Hat Art Project
- Does this work in Schoology, Microsoft Teams, Seesaw, and Canvas? Yes! Anything created in Google Slides can be shared with students. You’re just using those LMS’s to assign things.
- Do students need their own Google account to use this? Yes, they will need access to Slides to work in this program, However, you can download the file in PowerPoint and have children use that instead. Keep reading to learn more.
- Can I use these digital New Years hat art project templates in PowerPoint? Absolutely. Anything made in Google Slides can be downloaded into PowerPoint. First, open the file. Then, go to FILE >> DOWNLOAD >> MICROSOFT POWERPOINT.
- Can students add their own background to the scene? Yes! This is such a great way to incorporate photography into your lessons. Have kids take a picture and upload it to their Drive. Once in there, they can import it into the slide.
- How do I get the digital NYE hat templates to show up in my school Google account if I accidentally opened it in my personal account? Very easy. First, log out of your personal account. Then, log into your school Google account. Lastly, click on the link in the PDF and it will show up in your Drive.
- Do I need to buy a download for each student? No. But you do need to purchase a license for each adult who will use it in your school.
- I downloaded your PDF, but I can’t figure out where to access the Google Slides document. Click the link with the pointing arrow on Page 3.