Studio Habits of Mind Posters
What if your students understood how artists think and how that translates into what they do every day? Would it help them grow, become better problem-solvers, and generate new ideas and in turn, feel more successful? Absolutely! You can tap into your student’s critical thinking skills by incorporating these eight studio habits of mind posters for visual artists.
Created by Lois Hetland and her team of researchers at Harvard, the Studio Thinking framework touches upon best practices for art students and educators. They found that these habits help artists improve their craft, tackle hard problems, and give teachers concrete language to those internal processes that happen during the art making process. These Habits of Mind mirror what real artists do to succeed. You can teach them in any order at any level of instructional learning. Tie them to art lessons for your TAB or choice-based art curriculum both formally and informally. Lastly, you can use them in a traditional art room setting. These 8 Studio Habits of Mind Posters tie in well with any art curriculum.
I have designed these posters with simple graphics and a watercolor texture effect so they would fit in any elementary or middle school setting.
8 Studio Habits
- Develop Craft: Learning to use and care for tools and materials as well as the practices of an art form.
- Engage and Persist: Learning to embrace important artistic problems and develop focus within my work.
- Envision: Learning to mentally picture the next possible steps in my work.
- Express: Learning to create works that convey an idea, a feeling, or meaning.
- Observe: Learning to look carefully to see things that might not otherwise be seen.
- Reflect: Learning to talk about and assess the process of artmaking for myself and others.
- Stretch and Explore: Learning to reach beyond my abilities and embrace the chance to learn from my mistakes.
- Understand Art World: Learning about art history and ways to interact as an artist with other artists.
You Will Receive
- 8 Studio Habits of Mind Posters in 3 Sizes (8.5″x11″ includes a .25″ white border; 11″x17″ borderless; 11.7″x16.5″ borderless)
- “Studio Habits of Mind” Alphabet Letters in 3 Sizes (8.5″x11,” 11″x17,” and 11.7″x16.5″ none of which require borderless printing)
- Full Page Title Posters (11″x17″ and 11.7″x16.5″)
- Half Page Title Posters (11″x17″ and 11.7″x16.5″)
To allow for flexibility, I’ve included large posters which can be printed using a large format printer or at a copy center, if you so desire. If you don’t want to incur the cost of printing at a large size, I’ve included posters that will print at 8.5″x11.”
Makes a beautiful bulletin board for my TAB classroom. – Jodi Youngman
Love these eye catching habits of mind posters – perfectly summarized for a variety of ages!! – Art B.
Excited that I get to use these in my brand new Art Room in September! I liked these ones because they won’t use as much ink when I print them compared to the other versions which are very nice as well – Erica G.