Chinese New Year Coloring Craft
Need the perfect last minute, zero prep, print-and-go multicultural activity? Decorate your January bulletin board with this Chinese New Year coloring craft designed for 3rd through 5th grade. Best of all, it includes 3 versions. So, every project turns out different! Did I mention the writing prompts? Post your crafts in the hallway with the prompts to make a stunning holiday bulletin board.
If you’re racing to figure out what festive project to quickly put up in the hallway for the Chinese Lantern Festival, look no further. Students can complete the craft part in one class period. And you can use the accompanying writing prompts to post alongside your projects.
Basically, each child receives a copy of the template. Then, they color everything, cut out the parts, and glue it together. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!
Teaching in a hybrid learning environment? Assign the coloring pages for homework and focus on the writing in class.
This craftivity also comes with a PowerPoint with step-by-step pictures and simply written directions for young children. Use it for either whole group or small group instruction. Or, assign it to students via Google Classroom, Canvas, etc. so they can work independently.
Are you going to be absent and your substitute won’t have access to technology? No problem! Use the 1-page all-in-one step-by-step picture directions. Just print it out and include it with your sub plans. And then do nothing. Yes, nothing, because I’ve done it all for you!
Chinese New Year Coloring Craft Preview Video
Frequently Asked Questions About This Chinese New Year Coloring Craft
- How many sheets of paper does this use? Each child will receive two pages with the Chinese lantern parts on it.
- This resource shows 3 different versions of the craft. What am I supposed to do with the other two? You may decide to assign each table a certain version or you may decide to print a handful of each and let kids pick the one they like the best. Having 3 options will make your bulletin board display more creative!
- Who is this designed for? I designed this for general education teachers.
- What grade level is this for? This resource works best for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade. You may choose to try it with 1st of 2nd grade. Just be advised the writing prompts are meant for third through fifth grade.
- What materials do I need? Kids will need scissors, crayons, and glue.
You Will Receive
- 1 Non-Editable PDF Printables – Includes an overview of the directions for teachers, a 1-page printable for students of substitute teachers, Chinese lantern templates, and writing prompts. All of the template pages feature images with THICK outlines, making them easy for little hands to cut.
- Google Drive Access Link – A paperless version of this resource that you can assign digitally if your school is 1:1, virtual, or tech-infused. The link is located at the bottom of page 3 in the PDF.
- 1 Non-Editable PowerPoint Slideshow – Includes large, step-by-step picture directions and text so students independently and you can reclaim valuable class time to work with needy students.
Excellent resource for Lunar New Year. My students enjoyed making the lanterns and everything was very low prep. I showed them some videos about the Lunar New Year and they were able to complete the writing prompts just fine. I supplemented with a mini lesson on compare and contrast and this was the perfect, fun activity that we will leave up for Open House. – Kimberly K.
These turned out great for our Chinese New Year exhibit we did as a school. The kids enjoyed drawing and writing. Thank you for creating and sharing. – Maggie C.
I used this at the end of my unit about New Year Traditions Around the World. Students really loved making their own lantern. The steps were very clear and well laid out. – Jennifer P.